Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Last Supper

I was planning discipleship for this week, and God laid it on my heart to teach about The Last Supper and communion. I looked up several verses that explained various things, like why the Bible talks about using unleavened bread, what the bread and cup represent, who can take communion, how we should examine ourselves before taking communion, the reason we take communion together, etc. 

Turning a lesson into an activity makes it a memory they will never forget!
We made unleavened bread together:
Rosalina pressing her lump of unleavened bread dough:

Our communion elements: Flat bread and coco-cola (I don't think Jesus served coco-cola, but I didn't have any grape juice, so I bought a bottle of coke at the market! And anyway, ever since I have been here I have only ever been served communion with various flavors of pop, LOL)


It was such a special time with the girls. We really went in depth, and they had lots of questions. Apparently before this they didn't even know WHY we take communion!
Now they can never forget it. 

In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.
Hebrews 9:22

Therefore when Christ came into the world he said..."sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made). Then he said, "Here I am,  I have come to do your will." 
He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will we have been made Holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Hebrews 10:5, 8-10

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you:
The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."
For whenever you eat this bread or drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26

He rose and conquered the grave! Jesus is alive, and He is offering pure, new LIFE to those who call on Him. 
May this be a weekend of remembering and celebrating and realizing the LIFE-giving blood Jesus poured out to purify us, that we can live in the presence of a Holy and AWEsome God!




No comments: