Saturday, May 03, 2008

Stick Bread

Delicious bread roasted on a stick over a fire...mmmm...
2 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is great!)
2 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry yeast 
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil

Combine in medium sized bowl flour, baking powder, salt, and yeast. Stir it up to distribute salt and yeast evenly. Add the water and oil. You may need a little more water, Mix dough with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball in the bowl (I end up using my hands to mix it the rest of the way). It will be a little stiffer than biscuit dough. Knead 10 -12 times. break off a ball and shape it into a snake like you would with play dough, about 3/4 inch thick and maybe 10 inches long or as desired. wrap it around the end of a stick starting by folding it over the tip (so you can add a filling without it leaking out). Roast over hot coals, turning every minute or so. Not too close so it doesn't burn! Takes about 10 minutes or so. Fill with butter or honey or home made jam! DELICIOUS!!

I look forward to having a family one day, and wherever we are on the mission field, being able to make this homemade bread for them. What a treat!

(Note: This recipe is actually for "Self rising pizza crust". So you could, after kneading it, spread it out in a 9"x13" pizza pan, spread with sauce and toppings, and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Also, I had leftover dough after our barbecue tonight from the stick bread, so I made it into a ball --without handling too much because it had already risen-- and baked it in the oven at about 350 for 30 minutes. That was yummy too! I am sure you could make dinner rolls or other treats as well. A very versatile and handy recipe. So simple and sooo good!)

Edited on May 8th to Add:
Easy and DELICIOUS Monkey Bread
Make up a double batch of the dough. Grease a bunt cake pan. Pull off pieces of dough and roll into balls about 1 inch round. Dip in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar. Arange in the bunt cake pan. Bake at 375 till no longer doughy in the center. It took about 45 minutes in the oven i was using, but check it after 30. This is so good!

I will let you know if I come up with any other ideas to do with this dough. Let me know if you try any of these recipes, I would love to hear about it!:o)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yum.

I'm coming to visit next month. I may well see you. This is my preparations blog: http://maybemozambique.blogspot.com

Laura